The Foundation of a Legacy of Care
On June 26, 1818, Augusta’s first hospital committee purchased a small lot at what is now 124 Greene St. for $1,000 and erected a two-story hospital: City Hospital (pictured above). The structure, completed in the fall of 1818, included a standalone kitchen, fence, well, and various medical equipment and provisions. On May 23, 1823, the hospital’s first trained physician, Dr. D.B. Thompson, was hired.
City Hospital initially had beds for 10 patients, but it could accommodate up to 21 if cholera or a yellow fever epidemic broke out. This humble home for the sick and indigent became what we now know as University Health Care System, anchored today by the 581–bed University Hospital in downtown Augusta.