Expansion and Collaboration
After the Civil War, the population of Augusta boomed, spurring the need for expanded facilities and services. In 1869, the City Hospital on Greene Street was upgraded to a new two-story brick building at the corner of Walker and Washington streets, behind the Medical College. Despite the expansion, however, most operations were still performed “with only screens separating the patient undergoing surgery from others.” By the mid-1880s, it was time for an overhaul.
A June 1893 petition to City Council resulted in a transformative expansion of City Hospital, complete with an operating amphitheater, a maternity ward and other amenities. The renovation also created “100 additional ward [charity] beds and 30 pay rooms,” a major increase from the number previously available.
Dr. William H. Doughty Jr. — a physician trained at the Medical College of Georgia who practiced at City Hospital — helped organize a training program for nurses, which filled the gap in nursing left after the Sisters of Mercy left City Hospital in 1891. Doughty partnered with Anna Davids, a nurse educated at the Long Island College Training School, and together they established the Augusta Training School for Nurses in July 1894. The first class of five trained nurses graduated three years later. That figure rose to more than 100 graduates by the time City Hospital became University Hospital in 1915.
This program would soon become the Barrett School of Nursing, and in the 1960s would integrate with the Lamar School of Nursing into a unified University Hospital School of Nursing.